Emerging Agricultural Innovations
for the Next Generation
The world continues to cope with numerous unprecedented global threats, such as the persisting COVID pandemic, the economic impact of armed conflicts, and the escalating effects of climate change. It is no wonder that food security and therefore agricultural production and sustainability are suddenly at the forefront from the international arena down to the community/household level. Given the well-known proverb "necessity is the mother of invention," there has never been a better time to be involved and raise awareness and appreciation of emerging technologies and innovations that can transform agricultural production and ensure our food security for the next generation.
In its 16th year this 2022, SEARCA's Annual Photo Contest will focus on promoting Emerging Agricultural Innovations for the Next Generation.
What to capture?
The 16th SEARCA Photo Contest (2022) with the theme "Emerging Agricultural Innovations for the Next Generation" seeks images from across Southeast Asia that showcase technologies and innovations that are modernizing and transforming agricultural and rural development toward increased food supply and security. Photo submissions ideally showcase farmers and farming families, researchers, inventors, and even students and the youth using technologies and innovations in the field as part of agricultural production or experimentation across the broad spectrum of crop cultivation, livestock/animal husbandry, or fisheries.
Sub-themes of interest include:
- Agricultural innovations or technologies, including products and services, that bring positive impact or change to farmers and farming communities.
- Agricultural inventions or new, innovative ways of doing agriculture that increase productivity, yield or income for farmers and farming families in crop cultivation, livestock or fisheries settings.
- Climate-smart or environmentally-friendly innovations and technologies that make agriculture more sustainable and resilient against typhoons, floods, pests and diseases.
- Agricultural innovations or technology developed by local communities or the youth using indigenous materials or tribal knowledge.
- Academe-Industry-Government partnerships resulting in breakthrough agricultural technologies and innovations or sustainable knowledge and technology transfer to farmers and farming communities.
- The 16th SEARCA Photo Contest (2022) is open to all Southeast Asian nationals except SEARCA staff and their immediate family members.
- All entries must be submitted via https://photocontest.searca.org during the submission period (5 September to 30 November 2022). A contestant can enter an unlimited number of entries for as long as these meet the photo contest specifications.
- To minimize cases of plagiarism, contestants will be asked during the submission process to certify that:
- they own the photographs submitted and that they grant SEARCA full permission to use it in knowledge packaging, sharing, and advocacy related to SEARCA mandate. SEARCA shall ensure that the photographer will be properly credited for photos used, such as in print and digital publications;
- the photographs are original, have not won any previous photo contests, have not been published elsewhere (whether print or electronic), and have not been submitted as entries to any other photo contests during the 16th SEARCA Photo Contest (2022) period. The same or similar photos submitted to past SEARCA photo contests may not be submitted again; and
- that the photos have not been digitally altered and/or enhanced in any way other than simple cropping and minor adjustments on brightness, contrast, and saturation.
- Entries must be digital, colored, in JPEG format, and at least 3,000 pixels wide for a horizontal image, or 3,000 pixels tall for a vertical image at 300 dpi.
- Each entry should have the following details in English:
- full name, age range, and sex of photographer;
- photographer's country of origin;
- photographer's professional status;
- photo caption/description;
- place where the photo was taken (include town/municipality, province/state, and country);
- complete date taken; and
- other information that SEARCA may deem necessary to collect for reference purposes
- Winners will be notified via e-mail. SEARCA has the right to offer the prize to the next winning entry if the winner does not respond within two weeks after notification.
- Winners will be asked to provide their bank information where their cash prizes can be remitted; their certificates of recognition will be sent by mail.
Photos will be judged based on the following criteria:
|Relevance to the theme||40%|
|Technical quality |
(clarity, use of tones and color, photographic composition)
|Impact (of the technology or innovation featured)||30%|
Deadline for submission
All entries must be submitted online at http://photocontest.searca.org on or before 30 November 2022, 11:59 p.m. (GMT +08:00).
|SEARCA Director's Choice||USD 500|
|Philippine Department of Education Secretary's Choice||USD 500|
|People's Choice||USD 400|
|Best Agricultural Innovation or Technology||USD 300|
|Best Youth Photographer||USD 300|
Note: Remittance of cash prizes will follow any current SEARCA administrative/financial standards/guidelines (e.g., payout to Philippine winners will be in Philippine pesos).
Photo credits: Faiz Rahim, Sai Kham Hein, Mark Anthony L. Parducho, Mauricio E. Victa, and Tien Ho-anh